Monday, October 8, 2012

Night Circus isn’t so black and white, in fact it’s grey.




Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was a breath of fresh air. Its interesting and contemporary take on what good vs. evil really is was enjoyable to read. When you think fantasy novel. You think of a young hero embarking on or having an epic quest thrust upon them. They overcome some great evil and the world is tossed back into normality thanks to their interference. It’s not a great piece of literature, nor is it groundbreaking. It’s just a pretty interesting book.
When first starting this book I thought to myself, “A love story with magicians? How droll,” but as I slothed through the pages I found myself intrigued with many aspects of the novel.  Primarily, I found the vagueness of good vs evil interesting. I think that contemporary issues often force their way into works of art, either knowingly or subtly.
For the past 11 years, America has been on a war against terrorism. The solider who shoots a woman and child on the suspicion of being terrorists is just as much to blame as the man strapped to the bomb. But are either of them really to blame? The solider was following orders. The bomber, brainwashed. These two wars America has been in have had very cloudy depictions of what is good and what is evil.
In the story, two young magicians, bound by a magically force, serve as proxies for an ageless feud between two magicians. Even the two puppeteers aren’t all that evil.  I must admit that I haven’t finished the novel yet. I plan to go back to it after the course is over. There are books I am more excited about reading for my speculative literature class. 


-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment